A year marked by the pandemic and an increase in reports
The year 2019–2020 brought an array of challenges for Québec’s directors of Youth Protection. The year ended with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, requiring that DYPs and their teams quickly adapt their services and practices to ensure that they could continue to meet the needs of children, youths, and their families.
An increase in the number of signalements (reports), family dramas, the Special Commission on Children’s Rights and Youth Protection—this past year has been a turning point in the history of youth protection in Québec.
Stronger Together! is the title we have chosen for this 17th report, which highlights the importance of working in partnership and paying tribute to one’s team. Be it is the support provided by a neighbour, an attentive teacher, or workers and organizations from a variety of backgrounds, every kind deed matters and contributes to creating social safety net that is vital to children’s well-being.
The desire to ensure sensitive, quality responses to the needs of children and their families drives many people and organizations to collaborate closely every day. The DYPs share this desire and they are convinced that concerted, innovative, values-based actions and a shared vision can only strengthen us all in our mission to protect children.
Provincial Statistics for 2019–2020
- 118 316 signalements processed in Québec, an increase of 12% over the previous year.
- 36.8 % of signalements retained.
- 324 situations involving children are reported each day, namely 35 more than last year.
- 64.7 % of children placed in the care of the DYP have remained in their home environment or were entrusted to a relevant third party.
- 9041 adolescents received services under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA), an 8.5% decrease compared with the previous year.
Consult the 2019–2020 Report (in French)
- Click here to view Montreal data (in French)
- Media Relations Department of the CIUSSS de l'Ouest-de-l'Île-de- Montréal
514 630-2225, ext. 5257
- Media Relations Department of the CIUSSS du Centre-Sud-de-l'Île-de-Montréal
Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.: 514 376-3748
Emergency in the evening or on the weekend: 514 528-2477