Have you ever left a medical appointment and realized you forgot to ask an important question or talk about something that’s been bothering you?
To avoid this situation, try to prepare for your appointment.
Before your appointment
- Make a list of questions or subjects you want to address
- Gather your health information (e.g. medical history, lifestyle habits)
- Ask your pharmacist for a list of your medications
- Make sure your health insurance card is valid: check the expiry date on your health card
- If you have an appointment at a hospital, you must have a hospital card with your most recent information (address). If your card isn't up to date, give yourself extra time before your appointment so you can get a hospital card from the Admissions office
On the day of your appointment
- If you cannot make the scheduled time, notify the clinic as early as possible so that your appointment can be offered to another patient
- Do not hesitate to ask questions and to write down the answers
- If necessary, invite a loved one to accompany you
Preparing for your appointment in advance and good communication with the health professionals you see will ensure your visit is satisfying.