A FEW PREVENTIVE MEASURES CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE
Identify the sources of carbon monoxide and protect yourself:
- Remove the snow that has accumulated around the car and the tail pipe before starting the engine
- Never leave the motor running when clearing the snow away from your car.
It’s important to follow these recommendations to prevent exhaust from accumulating under the vehicle and seeping into your car in potentially deadly concentrations.
Alarms in homes offer excellent protection
Certain heating appliances can also produce carbon monoxide. Therefore we recommend the following:
- Install a CO alarm if your home has a natural gas, oil or wood burning appliance.
- Get your heating system checked once a year.
- Never use fuel-burning backup heating appliances indoors during power failures (oil, natural gas, wood, kerosene, coal and propane).