A FEW PREVENTIVE MEASURES CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE
- Children and people with asthma or heart conditions should stay indoors.
- Cover up as much as possible, especially your head and extremities. Protect your face with sunscreen or wear a scarf or mask, and keep your back to the wind.
- Avoid taking long car trips and make sure you are well prepared if you absolutely need to go somewhere (full gas tank, windshield washer fluid, warm clothing, candles and matches, cell phone, reliable car, etc.).
- Don’t go out alone in remote areas.
- Don’t drink alcohol, especially to try to warm up.
- If you’re outdoors, find shelter and keep your body moving.
- If you work outdoors, go inside regularly to warm up and avoid frostbite.
- At home, make sure your heating system and smoke detectors are working properly.
- Never use outdoor heaters inside the house.