You think that you are being ill-treated by someone around.
You are aware of situations in which you think an elderly person is being mistreated
Confidential resources can help you get information and psychological support and medical or legal assistance.
The most common forms of elder abuse and neglect are :
- Psychological mistreatment - Gestures, words or attitudes that negatively affect an individual’s psychological well-being or integrity.
- Physical mistreatment - Inappropriate gestures or actions, or absence of appropriate actions, which harm physical well-being or integrity.
- Sexual mistreatment - Non-consensual gestures, actions, words or attitudes with a sexual connotation, which are harmful to the person’s well-being, sexual integrity, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Material or financial mistreatment - Illegal, unauthorized or dishonest acquisition or use of the older adult’s property or legal documents; lack of information or misinformation regarding financial or legal matters.
- Violation of rights - Any infringement of individual and social rights and freedoms.
Where can I get help or ask questions?
- Aide Abus Ainés (Elder Abuse Help Line)
- Association québécoise de défense des droits des personnes retraitées ou préretraitées (in French only)
- Tel-Aînés (services in French).